"Do you hear that sound? That's your yarn...it's crying"~ Magenta Sequins

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Open for Business

So after about a year of kicking the idea around with CawfeeMate, and with Magenta as my seasoned business advisor, I’ve finally started selling my wares to my adoring public on Etsy! The shop has been up and running for about 2 weeks and I’ve already had a couple of special orders; a former co-worker commissioned a puppy sweater like one I made for Rufus and her friend commissioned a pair of fingerless gloves. I’ve also created a Facebook page to promote the business, so people can see other stuff I’ve made and get ideas for what they may want.

Right now the Etsy shop has only a few cawfee cozies* that I knit, without anyone in particular in mind, but i foresee it’s going to be the place where I sell the finished objects I make, when I try out a new pattern or a new yarn. I’m also taking custom orders from anyone who takes a look at my Facebook page or the other Etsy items and wants something specific.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not quitting my 9-to-5 job to become a professional knitter. I’ve just taken my knitting to the next level, where it pays for itself. I like the idea of getting to work with my favorite yarns, making hats and gloves and cozies and things in colors that I wouldn’t usually work with and even making items I wouldn’t usually make (like mittens and women’s accessories). It’s opened my mind to other possibilities and broadened my repertoire. I’m still holding fast to my “no knitting for kids” rule and trying my best to steer people away from yarns made of acrylic and nylon but I’m pretty open-minded with what I can/will make. Plus, It’s really great knowing that I’m getting paid to do something I love and would be doing, anyway; and I can’t deny that it’s a great feeling knowing that people would actually pay for something I’ve made **.

It’s a great learning experience, too. I’m learning that it’s difficult trying to pin people down to tell you what they want, though. for instance, a few people have asked me to make them “a hat”, but when you ask them what kind of hat, they’re not quite sure. same thing with colors; there’s alot of shades of grey, folks; I wonder how other knitting mercenaries deal with that. And pricing is really tricky; figuring out how much my I think my stuff is worth versus how much people are willing to pay for it; I feel a bit like a semi-pro yarn whore*** .

and, confidentially, I don’t mind one bit.

*don’t schvitz; there are no owl cozies for sale!
** lord knows I’m addicted to recognition.
*** I wonder if actual whores have trouble figuring out what to charge

No comments:

Get Free Shots from Snap.com .