"Do you hear that sound? That's your yarn...it's crying"~ Magenta Sequins

Thursday, August 04, 2011

Wishful Thinking

I'm a simple and reasonable guy, i think. I really don't want alot in life. If Aladdin's genie gave me three wishes, I'd probably be at a loss for what to do with the third one. In fact, with my birthday having just passed, I found myself wishing for only two things when it came time to blow out my candles: time and money.

There just aren’t enough hours in the day, or days in the weekend, for me to get all that I want need want to, done. My commute to/from work gets me out of the house at six and back at seven (sometimes later), every day. By the time I walk in the door, the list of things I want to do is pretty damn short and does not include folding/hanging and putting away the laundry, dusting/vacuuming the house, weeding and watering the garden, exercising or updating our Pampered Chef business website; I just want to throw my lazy ass on the couch, watch a little retro-TV* eat whatever terrific dinner CawfeeMate has made** and, with the puppy in my lap, knit until our 10pm bedtime. In truth, that’s exactly what I do wind up doing, and all the chores get crammed into the two days of the weekend (somewhere in between food shopping, a Pampered Chef show and meeting whatever social obligations we’ve made).

I think (and here’s where the wishing comes in), if I had an extra weekend day, I’d be able to get it all done and still feel rested come Monday morning. As it is, by the time the credits roll on True Blood, I usually feel shocked at how quickly the weekend went, how little I got accomplished and how friggin tired I am. The next thing I know, the alarm is going off and it’s lather, rinse, repeat until the next weekend.

I really can’t lie; I recognize that wishing for more money is almost purely materialistic, selfish and vain. Money can't buy hapiness, but it sure would buy the things in life that would make me happier; even more time. I want a bigger, unattached, house with a normal sized kitchen that CawfeeMate could be happy to cook and bake in, a dining area that would stop us from eating in front of the TV, and a backyard with actual plants and grass. I want to stop worrying about my student loan, our car payment and insurance and the mortgage. I want to be able to buy new appliances to replace the ones that keep dying on us. I want CawfeeMate to be able to quit his job and pursue his love of cooking, full-time. I want to be able to quit my job so I can take care of the house and, honestly, have the time to knit all the projects I have on my Ravelry queue and take classes to learn all the techniques I don’t know. i want to be able to buy more awesome needles and not worry about crappy customer service. i want to be able to buy the newest iPhone and not worry that the next iPhone is coming out next year. I want a second child substitute to play with Rufus. I want to be able to travel and see our friends in Georgia, Arizona, the Carolinas; hell, i want to see my local friends more, too. I want to see Europe.

I want , I want, I want, I want.

wow, I guess i'm not quite that simple and reasonable, huh?

I wish I wasn’t.
(there you go, that makes three)

* we’ve been on a kick with our Netflix account getting old TV series; at the moment we’re on Season 1 of the original Bionic Woman, season 5 of Dynasty, season 1 of the original Star Trek (having just finished both the Next Generation and Voyager) and season 1 of WB’s Supernatural.
** he usually gets home by four or five; yes, I do realize how incredibly lucky I am.

"Those who cannot tell what they desire or expect, still sigh and struggle with indefinite thoughts and vast wishes"~Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Get Free Shots from Snap.com .