"Do you hear that sound? That's your yarn...it's crying"~ Magenta Sequins

Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's an Insult I Tell You

on my way into the office i stopped at "the Man in the Box" who sells coffee outside our building.

he's got this little 4 x 4 steel shack from which he sells coffee, donuts, rolls, etc. for the longest time, it was the best "brown coffee" (read: American coffee, as opposed to "black coffee" which is espresso) in the area; dark, flavorful, and strong. it was also reasonably cheap at $1.25 for a large. i'd go there every morning and get the same thing: a large coffee, dark and sweet (read: a little bit of milk with alot of sugar). the guy who worked there (hunky young latin fellow with an ass you could serve drinks on) knew my drink; i didn't even have to speak (which is worth more than gold to me, 1st thing in the morning). it was wonderful; i'd get my one cup of coffee on the way in from the subway and another with the coffee klatsch. while i was on Weight Watchers, i tapered off to the one cup with the klatsch, except on wednesdays when i would treat myself to a Starbuck's latte.

a few months ago, something changed; the hunky young latin guy (who i found out was the owner's grandson) wasn't there anymore. his father (far more latin and incredibly un-hunky...actually he's quite scary) took over. the coffee got lighter and more expensive ($1.40). the worst part: he didn't know me. i had to tell him my order every time. it was almost painful.

anyway...back to this morning...
i asked for a large coffee, dark and sweet.
he handed me my bag.
i paid.
i came inside to my desk.
i took one sip and almost gagged.
all that's in the cup is milk and sugar.
barely a suggestion of coffee.

i haven't drank coffee this way since i'm 4 years old.
this is why people frequent Starbucks and other big chains...the coffee is always the same.
this is no way to start a day.

4 comments:

travelling, but not in love said...

How can a sweet coffe with a drop of milk, served by a latin lovely with a cute ass NOT be a great way to start the day? It could only be better if he were serving it to me in my own home and I didn't have to get out of bed to go to work...!

Shame he's gone. Shame his dad makes lousy coffee.

I hate the big chains for many reasons, but their coffee is always good. Damn those evil corporate monstrosities. Damn them. But enjoy their coffee....

CinJen said...

Why is the man effin with you?! I would've gone back and tipped that box over. You just don't mess with a man's morning coffee!

Argh.

A Lewis said...

It's funny, because someone recently blogged about HATING to go to places where they know your name and exactly how you take your coffee. And now, THIS...your post. I do have to say, that huge amounts of cream and sugar are how my Grandma started me out on what she called "Cowboy Coffee." A post should be coming soon!

CawfeeGuy said...

lewis...honestly that's how i STARTED drinking coffee when i was very small; my mom would put coffee in a saucepan on the stove and gradually heat it up with sugar and milk...by the time i was 10, though i was drinking it with less and less milk in it. since college, i take it borderline-black.

Get Free Shots from Snap.com .