"Do you hear that sound? That's your yarn...it's crying"~ Magenta Sequins

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Bang Bang (You Shot Me Down)

I fear I might be considered a bad person; I’m certainly a bad American. I hate the 4th of July. There, I said it. Call the Department of Homeland Security or the CIA or whomever “disposes of” Emperor GWB’s heretics, these days. I’m not a fan of the Fourth. Personally, I think it rates right up there with electrolysis and getting a colonoscopy in terms of shear physical discomfort. It’s not the politics of the holiday I find distasteful (though I will admit that it’s hard to celebrate the birthday of a country that thinks I’m a 3rd class citizen). It’s the fireworks. I hate fireworks. While I have no problem with the pulsing throb of house music, the loud CRACK-CRACK-CRACK-CRACK of a matt of Jumping Jacks or the sonic BOOM of an M80 puts me over the edge. Perhaps it’s because I’m usually quite tense and thoroughly over-caffeinated, but loud and abrupt noises scare the living shit out of me. Every. Single. Time. Even if I know that it’s going to happen I still wince, flinch or jump. I can’t even be in the same room when champagne is being opened because of the loud POP that accompanies it. Don’t even talk to me about Pillsbury Biscuits in a can. The thought of them makes me quite edgy.

It’s not just the noise of the Fourth that I’m opposed to. I absolutely detest fireworks and everything they bring with them: bright flashes of light, smoke, soot and the smell of gun powder. I’m appalled at how my usually residential looking neighborhood turns into downtown Baghdad in the name of celebration. I walked out of my house this morning, looked around, and I swear to god it looked like the entire neighborhood had been stormed by a Jihad. There was a layer of soot covering the cars, large scorch marks were all about the street (the neighbors across the street actually set fire to the street), and there were empty cardboard casings EVERYWHERE. It was terribly disturbing.

Speaking of the neighbors, let’s get back to why I think I’m a bad person. By 10pm my nerves were completely shot, as they had started well before sundown with the Noise-Only brand of fireworks. Now, because we’re up a the ass-crack of dawn (5:30) for work, we’re usually in the sack by 10:30 (the VERY latest). Last night, however, sleep was clearly NOT going to be an option. By 10:30 it was quite clear that the Firework Extravaganza was NOT going to end any time soon. The neighbors had spent, what looked like, $2000 on fireworks and they were going to get every POP and WHISTLE they could get. They also thought it would be a real hoot to light a mini-bonfire in the middle of the street. It was a real lulu. That’s when I called the 311 who put me on with 911 (I told her it wasn’t an emergency, but it was clear that any fire warrants 911 attention). 10 minutes later the FDNY showed up and crashed the party. 10 minutes after they left, the neighbors started up again. 20 minutes (and another phonecall to 311) later the NYPD showed up. They left about 45 minutes later. The party was over. By this time I was asleep for about half an hour. Sometime around 1am a fight broke out across the street. Everyone was drunk, several people were high (by their own loud admission). And it seems to have started due to the involvement from New York’s Finest. God only knows what they found.

Next year, maybe we can go to Canada for the 4th.

“Fuck ‘em if they can’t take a joke”~Bette Midler

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I stumbled upon your blog - I hate fireworks, too. Have scared me since I was very little (when living in Florida I used to sit in the car to watch the fireworks through the windshield). The loud booming ones scare me the most and the 'local' version that people get illegally just make me so edgey and jumpy. Glad to know I'm not just a wimp. (I keep saying I was in a war in my former life).

N'il said...

You are not a bad person for calling the authorities to stop what was illegal behaviour (on, obviously, multiple levels). There are such things as noise ordinances, a ban on fireworks, and laws against public disturbance and intoxication. Trust me, I would have done the same if in the same situation - and have.

CawfeeGuy said...

k
hope you become a regular reader :)

N'il
thanks sweetie. that really does make me feel better.
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Dear Lord in Heaven! C'mon David, you've lost ALL your spirit and I find that appalling!!
I'm sure it doesn't surprise you that I disagree with you (and n'il) on this one, but it's one day out of the year and now you've turned into "THAT guy".
::shakes head::
While I do understand you not necessarily wanting to celebrate the 4th, you make it seem as if you're reporting live from the Gaza strip!
Only another 364 days till we're here again! :-P

CawfeeGuy said...

**shrug** you're a republican...i expect you disagree with me :^P

Anonymous said...

Would love to be a regular reader - since gay men in NYC are my favorite kind! (I'm an actor/singer living in Brooklyn - lived in SI for three years - have a regular husband and a gay husband).

I am that person too. But I HATE when people feel that they have a sense of entitlement on any level: shooting off fireworks in the middle of the night is only thinking about yourself...why not shoot them all off before 10?

What's funny is if I was into fireworks I would think to myself, "I don't want to be obnoxious and keep people up all night so I'll put these off the night before and be done by 10 at the latest." Why is it so difficult for people to remember they aren't the only ones in the world?

N'il said...

My rule #1 is treat everyone with kindness and respect. Respect being very important. I absolutely respect that people want to celebrate. But other people should also in turn respect others desire not to - or to just not be disturbed. No one's good time should impede on another's life rudely. Ever. And setting a bonfire in the middle of the street, is not only disturbing but also dangerous. So, I don't think that there is anything wrong with being "That guy" in that case, since it is a simple level of respect and courtesy that applies to everyone.

This is one of those times that is more like responding to the "F" word than anything else. It was a time when a response was more than called for.

Anonymous said...

Republican comments aside, you were able to sleep through the endless partying of our ethnic neighbors when we lived together but fireworks is what really frosts your cookies??
Beware! The domesticity is running rampant! I expect to see you next time, head full of curlers and clipping coupons for press-on nails :-P Muah!

CawfeeGuy said...

Listen Mary...as i SAID...the endless THUMPA THUMPA of a baseline lulls me to sleep; our "ethnic" neighbors' music was a lullaby. on the 4th it felt like Midnight in Beirut.

Get Free Shots from Snap.com .