"Do you hear that sound? That's your yarn...it's crying"~ Magenta Sequins

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

the Wonderful Wallaby of Oz

every step I take with this wallaby, I’m completely blown away with what I’m doing. I didn’t think I’d ever be at this point in under a year; making an actual, wearable sweater.

I thought it would be alot harder (not that I’m complaining) to create something. It’s a total trip to see the pieces taking shape as I’m knitting; like, right now, at the end of my size 8’s I’ve got my right sleeve…or maybe the left…I doesn’t matter, the point is it’s a frickin sleeve, people!

Every "project" is like running a marathon or reading a really good book for me; when I finish, I feel such a ridiculous sense of accomplishment and awe that I did that! I made something! Before, there were two skeins of honey colored wool yarn and two pointy sticks connected by a plastic cord. A month later there was a tea cozy in the shape of a beehive, for Bri-the-Pie-Guy. Granted there was a little bit of magic involved, since the pattern used a different size needle and different yarn, but in the end there was a fully functional tea-frickin-cozy!

But, back to the wallaby.

I’m shocked that my pocket looks and behaves like a pocket should look and behave!
I’m shocked that my sleeves actually look like and fit like sleeves!

I don’t know why I’m shocked; the pattern itself is just a natural progression of the things I’ve learned since I started in January, and it’s written such that there’s nothing terribly odd or new for me to learn, that I can’t learn (either with the help of MS, the Yarn Girl or YouTube). That’s also really important here: learning something new every step of the way. I like that every project is teaching me a new skill which I can use in the next project.

The way this is coming has totally inspired me to tackle other clothing items; new stuff I’ve never tried (and never thought I’d make): a puppy sweater for Rufus, socks for CawfeeMate (plus he wants a Wallaby of his own) and gloves! At this point, the only thing I can’t see myself making are baby clothes or clothes for kids; the little f-ckers just grow too fast. Then again, I never thought I’d be making a sweater for me, so who knows what will come tumbling out of my needles…

No comments:

Get Free Shots from Snap.com .