"Do you hear that sound? That's your yarn...it's crying"~ Magenta Sequins

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

You're a Card: to Be Dealt With

i just heard the saddest thing...

one of the girls at work has been with her boyfriend for a year; they celebrate their anniversary in a couple of days. she's trying to find him the right card but everything is (get this), too romantic or too emotional. she looks at cards that proclaim everlasting love or romance and rolls her eyes or makes gagging noises. funny cards are ok, and "i wanna sex you till your eyes fall out yer ass" are even better, but she doesn't believe in the sentiment stated in most greeting cards. she won't even buy blank cards because she feels that it's too much pressure to write like what's found in a pre-printed one. oh, and she likes getting one almost as much as buying one. apparently, when she reads cards from guys that drip sentiment, she laughs.

maybe it's because i'm the kind of guy that tears up in the card store when picking one out for someone, or because when i buy blank cards i write exactly what i feel (though not expediently; you'd think i was paid by the word), but i can't imagine being so jaded about love that even greeting cards are passe.

she has every right to be jaded, by the way. . guys have been reall shits to her, and it's a sin. she's one of those girls who have it all: she's beautiful and smart and just a good person, but guys treated her like dirt. if i had her dating history i'd be jaded, too.

come to think of it, i was as jaded and cynical as she (and i had alot less cause to be), till i fell in love. maybe that's what it will take. maybe that's how you know when you found "the one"; when the ice around your heart melts and those walls are torn down.

2 comments:

ryan charisma said...

Yes, but what if I feel nothing on the inside and I only fake reactions according to what my parents expected of me? Would that card say "I feel nothing inside, but I can say I love you!"

I guess that makes me a sociopath?

A sociopath with a heart of gold.

Breenlantern said...

I was just as cynical and burnt and told Jeffrey on our first date (not realizing he was single, interested in me or that it was to be our first date) that I would never go on another date with a guy until I had a signed contract that he was officially interested in me. That was 10 years ago December 7, and I still carry the piece of paper my husband slid across the table to me that night that said "Sean, I am officially interested in you. Jeffrey" laminated and in my wallet. It still makes me teary eyed when I pull it from my wallet searching for other stuff...

I'll see you at the Hallmark store...you bring the tissues, I'll bring the hugs.

Get Free Shots from Snap.com .