"Do you hear that sound? That's your yarn...it's crying"~ Magenta Sequins

Friday, May 25, 2007

Get Outta Here!

sometimes, i think i'm too gay.

i don't mean i'm flaming, not that i'd mind if i was, 'cause i'm usually not. since i came out i've become Captian Queer or Super Fag...

i read gay books: John said it best, i've got the Library of Gay Sexual Congress. Fiction, Non-Fiction, Poetry, and Plays. don't get me wrong, i still (re)read Anne Rice and other books where the characters are straight, living in a straight world, doing things with other straight people, but more often than not what i'm reading usually a story where boy meets boy, boy falls for boy, boy breaks up with boy, boy comes crawling back to boy, boy and boy live gaily ever after. they're cheesy and fluffy, but they're about people like me.

i watch gay movies and tv shows: mind you, i still love my Charlie's Angels, Heroes, and a couple of other "straight" shows, but i prefer to watch shows and movies about fags and dykes, no matter how bad they are (read: Noah's Ark and Leaving Metropolis, respectively). it's like the reading thing. i'm just glad that in the gay movies that are released today, the main character doesn't automatically die of AIDS in the last reel.

i listen to music by gay artists: it's nice knowing that Rufus Wainwright and Neil Tennant are singing about men.

i have a gay tattoo on my leg and gay bumper stickers on my car: ok those are more about Pride than anything else. i've reached a point where i feel that maximum visibility is the only way to go. maybe it's because i feel like everywhere i look "the straight" thing is in my face and crammed down my throat. maybe it's because i'm just angry at how i feel we (as fags and dykes) are treated by the majority. maybe it's because, to me, to not show your Pride is the same as staying in the closet. if we don't show people we're out there, how are they going to know?

i guess it's because (i've been told) that if i didn't tell people i was gay, they wouldn't really know. i want them to know. in my mind, a silent minority is an invisible minority and that's a minority that will forever be forced to roll over and take the dick up the ass that the majority is offering. given the choice, i'd move into a Gay Ghetto like the Castro or the Chelsea. i like being around other gay people. i feel less "self aware" i guess.

so, what do you think? can you be too gay? can you be too out or proud?

2 comments:

Breenlantern said...

Were we separated at birth????
Read my blog from September 06:
http://idleeyesandadormy.blogspot.com/2006/09/pride-and-seek-make-mine-rainbow.html
Great post. I'm cheering. I laughed, i cried, it was better than Cats. I will gladly swap rainbow jewelry, gay movies and books with you any day!!!!!

MakeupGuyNY said...

Amen sistah! I agree 100% we need to show our pride etc. BUT all it takes is that one person to sneer on say "fag" under their breath to totally suck the pride out of you. I guess it goes back to time and place for everything. I dunno, we've come so far we are so close we can almost reach out and touch equality. If I could I would move as well to be around our peers.

Get Free Shots from Snap.com .