"Do you hear that sound? That's your yarn...it's crying"~ Magenta Sequins

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Heaven Scent

let's talk about irony, shall we?
the literal definition is:


1.
a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
b. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
c. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.



2.
a. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: "Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated" Richard Kain.
b. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity.


but, thanks to Alanis Morissette, we've come to define it as:

a coincidental situation where the outcome proves that life sucks and the universe enjoys kicking you in the balls once in a while.

for example:

i love cologne. there are certain colognes that make me swoon or that i find simply intoxicating. there are other colognes which remind me of guys i've known and (in a couple of cases) loved, in the past. one of the most pleasantly distracting experiences is when a guy walks by and i catch a whiff of his cologne. y'see other men seem carry the scent of their cologne with them all day. ironically, the scent of cologne evaporates from my skin after about half an hour. either my skin simply absorbs it or i've developed a biological mechanism which neutralizes the scent. either way, the 12 bottles of cologne i have sitting on the bathroom counter are a waste of money 'cause nobody ever knows that i'm wearing it!

see? irony.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your mini-lesson on irony. Cologne evaporates on me too--I think it's all the heat I generate. Maybe cologne is really meant for all those cold-blooded people out there.

Breenlantern said...

I used to love Drakar...the scent of it on another man would get me aroused...now I wear Mesmerize, which people seem to enjoy, but, like you, I can't carry the scent for more than an hour...ironically, I can't ever seem to get the scent of onions off my hands. (See how I did that right there? Used the theme of your post in my response? Lord I'm brilliant!)

CawfeeGuy said...

LOL
for me it's the scent of garlic.
when i cook dinner, the entire next day i smell like an italian whore.

Get Free Shots from Snap.com .